I was out in my garden earlier this evening – doing some after work weed pulling – and I noticed that my massive sage bushes are in full flower right now. In previous years I’ve thought it might be nice to harvest some of those flowers and turn them into something pretty – and since I didn’t have anything else to do tonight (besides singing rehearsal and laundry), I figured why not?
2 cups packed sage flowers
2 cups white wine
4 cups sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 pouch (3 oz) liquid pectin
- Bring wine and sage flowers to a boil.
- Turn off heat, put lid on pot and let steep for an hour or so.
- Add sugar and apple cider vinegar, bring to a boil and let sugar dissolve.
- Add pectin, bring back to a boil and let boil hard for 1 minute.
- Ladle into jars and process for 5 minutes in a boiling water canner.
This recipe makes 5 250-ml jars. There really isn’t anything prettier than a rosy jelly – now let’s hope it sets!