As an early birthday present, Brian gave me six yards of beautiful, crazy fabric last week – which I wasn’t expecting at all (he gave it to me to prove a point in an argument about how “yes he would so buy me fabric”)….. and this weekend I spent some time making a couple of market bags out of an Alexander Henry print which turned out quite nicely (if I do say so myself). I’m just learning about interfacing – which I used on one side of the fabric – and I even made wallet pockets inside each of these bags (interfaced and lined!)
To make the bag, I used this tutorial from Oh Fransson for lunch bags and altered it according to the size of fabric I had to work with. Also, I decided to attach a strap instead of doing the grommet-handle thing because I wanted a wider strap that could go over the shoulder. Now that I’ve got the pattern figured out (you can see my prototype bag sans interfacing below), I can knock one of these off in under an hour. Easy-Peasy!